Sunday, August 25, 2013

Shining the light in Islamic darkness


John 4:35 Do you not say, There are still four months and then the harvest comes? Behold, I say to you, Lift up your eyes and look on the fields, for they are white to harvest already.

There is a real hungering and thirsting in Muslim lands for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The dry empty husks of Islam cannot quench the thirst or satisfy the hunger that God has placed in their hearts. By God's grace even in lands hostile to missionary activity, courageous missionaries, often at the risk of their lives, daily work to shed the light of the Gospel into the hearts and minds of men. And the light is shining. In the following story we catch a glimpse of how ripe the harvest is in Islamic countries. It is a secret harvest that is taking place, and one that is violently opposed, but it is a rich harvest nonetheless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story takes place in a country that is hostile to evangelism, and so, for the protection of the person's involved, all names of persons and places have been changed or omitted.

Posted with the permission of AFM.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness! For they shall be filled.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean, a lanky 20 year old man, returned today from six months of driving a taxi in Centerchee. He made his way stealthily to our home, climbing over a 12 foot security wall. He wants to know the truth. Should he believe in the Quran and Mohammad or in Jesus and the Bible? He trusts me because he sees me as an honest seeker of truth.

We talked earnestly for an hour - Dean asking question after question and I answering eagerly out of my deep desire to open the truth to him. Our topics: How can we know what is truth? The plan of salvation, the fall, the flood, Israel's history and Jesus' life. At one point, I told Dean we should stop to give him time to contemplate what we'd covered, but he was unwilling to end the interview. I realized how very hungry he was for truth, so I agreed to continue. After another hour, I again suggested we take a break. Again, he begged me to continue a few minutes, assuring me he could assimilate more.

We skipped lunch, but I felt no hunger pangs. Dean's questions were so penetrating. Knowing that this might be his moment of decision, I dared not refuse him. Seven hours later, he prepared to depart with my last copy of the Bible in his language. He said he would postpone his return trip to Centerchee to devote more time to Bible study, which was more precious to him than anything. Wow! We set another appointment for two days later. After Dean left, I sat there dazed. We had covered so much material. He was so perceptive, so discerning.

Our next visit was the same -- seven hours of intense truth discussion! "If only the Quran said that Jesus is God," he said thoughtfully. I cited where the Quran says that only Allah can raise the dead and create. Then I cited in the Quran where Jesus did both. "I never saw that before!" he said sheepishly as a knowing look came into his eyes

If Dean becomes a follower of Christ, he will be like Paul both in zeal and in mental acuity, a defender and an apostle for truth.